Kirjoittaja Aihe: Getting started  (Luettu 2869 kertaa)

0 jäsentä ja 1 Vieras katselee tätä aihetta.

Poissa Seventen

• Tulokas
    • Profiili
Getting started
« : 17.06.17 - klo: 16.27 »
Firstly sorry for my speaking English my Finnish is quite limited.
I have spent a good year looking into getting started with RC cars and just feel quite overwhelmed by everything. I have had my eye on Kyosho models mainly due to there is a store near to me in Tampere and I have yet to find any other walk in stores in this area.
I go to make a purchase and then feel is it the right choice. So I have turned to you guys here to see if there is any advice for what I am after.
Firstly I have never really done this before so treat me as a complete beginner. My ultimate goal is to one day get into racing at a track if this is possible. I wonder where does people normally practice to train for such events?
I am on quite a limited budget and was told this is no where near enough to spend on a RC car unless I am after a toy. I only have about 400e to spend with maybe 100 extra at a push but wanted extra battery so about 500 in total.
If anyone has any help or suggestions where I should start looking would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Poissa SixStars

• Veteraani
    • Profiili
Vs: Getting started
« Vastaus #1 : 18.06.17 - klo: 00.10 »
I suggest that you take contact to eurorc.com and place your question -the guys will help you forward ( forget about the Kyosho unless you're going with 1:8 scale nitroengine serious racing to which they have some competitive models.. in other classes you won't be seeing that brand too often I think.. )

And don't mind that walk-in store missing.. the pre-mentioned will ship you the goods in a day or two and you can order online, no need to "walk-in" anywhere ;)
Kyosho Fazer EP Subaru, Traxxas Stampedet 2WD + 4WD, Kyosho Jetstream 800 vintagepaatti FOR SALE !, Quanum Nova Pro quadkopteri

Poissa Ipperu

• Veteraani
    • Profiili
« Vastaus #2 : 18.06.17 - klo: 00.11 »
Check the used  ones from here:

http://rc10.fi/index.php?board=46.0

I suggest to buy 1/10 SC truck. That you can drive on backyard and on the track.

There is one Tekno what you should check.... :wink:
Hobao Hyper Buggy 1/8  | Associated sc10 4x4 ft | Trx E-Revo vxl 1/16 | Trx E-Revo 1/10

Poissa Seventen

• Tulokas
    • Profiili
« Vastaus #3 : 21.06.17 - klo: 22.45 »
Thank you for the replies, I have been reading the sales on this page for some time, but feel I don't know enough about them to feel confident making a purchase. The SC truck is something I have taken a liking too they seem a bit more well built and maybe I won't break it on the first corner I come across :)
Thanks for the tip on that shop they have an insane amount of items! I think I can trade the walk in shop for a store filled with so many items so maybe will give up on the Kyosho idea.

Poissa zoli

• Fullspeed RC
    • Profiili
« Vastaus #4 : 22.06.17 - klo: 08.09 »
RC cars is a nice hobby so I hope you can get into it.

My understanding is a bit limited in this area but for what I know the RC car is like an aeroplane in that sense you will end up changing most parts in it at some point of time. This means two things:

1. A used car is valid option as they come much cheaper than new ones. However if you are looking for a class-car that you can compete with, you most often still need to invest in batteries and charger. For backyard bashing however you can get easily full sets with cars including batteries etc from Web market palaces. There are good threads on this forum to help you with selection.

2. Considering budget the cost of the hobby comes only partially from original investment (car, batteries, charger). After that I would prepare to spend around 50-100 €/ month for replacement parts, possible upgrades, liquids, travel and so on.

Poissa mikari

• Fullspeed RC
    • Profiili
« Vastaus #5 : 22.06.17 - klo: 11.27 »
The biggest issue with used cars are the screws.

So when buying a used car check the condition of screws and that there isn't too much loctite on them so they can be opened.

I've encountered this multiple times that screws are bad/locked and cannot be opened without heavy tooling with dremel etc.

Seller's don't mind telling you this as it won't be their problem you trying to change parts later.
« Viimeksi muokattu: 22.06.17 - klo: 19.20 kirjoittanut mikari »
Kiitos 20 vuodesta!

Poissa Ipperu

• Veteraani
    • Profiili
« Vastaus #6 : 22.06.17 - klo: 15.37 »
Also sometimes the holes of screws are in the end and new screws are not helping. I have running to that couple of times.
« Viimeksi muokattu: 22.06.17 - klo: 18.21 kirjoittanut Ipperu »
Hobao Hyper Buggy 1/8  | Associated sc10 4x4 ft | Trx E-Revo vxl 1/16 | Trx E-Revo 1/10

Poissa Ruusperi

• Fullspeed RC
    • Profiili
« Vastaus #7 : 22.06.17 - klo: 16.15 »
Where to train for races?

In Tampere area:
http://www.prc-autoilijat.fi/wp/ratainfo/

And the awesome Äänekoski track:
http://rc10.fi/index.php?topic=92181.0

Other tracks in Finland:
http://rc10.fi/index.php?topic=35219.0

Poissa mikari

• Fullspeed RC
    • Profiili
« Vastaus #8 : 22.06.17 - klo: 19.22 »
Also sometimes the holes of screws are in the end and new screws are not helping. I have running to that couple of times.

You mean in the plastic - that's correct, too
Kiitos 20 vuodesta!

Poissa Seventen

• Tulokas
    • Profiili
« Vastaus #9 : 25.06.17 - klo: 22.33 »
This information has been brilliant thank you, I think I may look towards the new market as was already quite worried about the used one and now reading about the screw thing I feel a little more turned away.

Thanks zoli for the input on cost. I was aware of additional costs and would be prepared for a similar addition each month. That is why my starting cost was so low and the hope was to purchase a car for a cheaper price and actually be tuned up to be racing fit once I have learnt my way around the hobby.

I have seen that track in Nokia outside, it is actually quite near me. I have never seen anyone there though. Do you need to pay the 10 euro a day for the outside track or the inside? or both?